Thread: Tithing

thatdoggirl

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default Tithing

Okay.. so I haven't really read up much on tithing but what I do know is that it's suggested 10% of your income or something like that. I've just recently started getting back involved in my church and I WANT to tithe. It feels good to give to my church, to contribute something positive to the community. I want to tithe 10% of my income... but what happens when money is tight? I just started tithing with my last paycheck and I have another one coming up soon.

I had to replace an altenator in my mom's van (which is no my only form of transportation... and had an oil like so I buy a new thing of oil weekly). So now my money is even tighter. I'm also trying to save for a reliable car and some other things. I'm going to make another post later because money ties up with another issue/stressor in my life.

So anywho, is it best to trust God and to tithe 10% even if you know that no matter what you're going to be struggling with other things in your budget? At this point, there is nothing left that I can really cut down on and I'm going to begin searching for a job closer to where I live soon. But other then that I've cut back on everything I can. So do I still tithe regardless of my situation? What's your opinion?

Also.. if you know any passages in the bible that reference tithing and explain what you are supposed to do that'd be great!

Administrator
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first Group25000 Experience Points10000 Experience Points5000 Experience Points1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Talking

Hey there,

This is taken from: What does the Bible say about Christian tithing?

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent, not the 10 percent which is generally considered the tithe amount today. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says it is to be
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle

thatdoggirl

Thanks for the help!

BreanaAbagailButler

Really its a valuable info

EmmaMadeleineMcDonald

The English land division called the tithing was a grouping of ten households. Allied to this concept was a local administrative unit also called a tithing or tything, with essentially legal responsibilities, exercised by a "tithingman". Both meanings originated in Anglo-Saxon times, through arrangements for the management of estates, taxation and criminal law, for example in the procedure known as "view of frankpledge."

thatdoggirl

Default Re: Tithing

What's up with all these bots??

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 38%,
    Points required for next Level: 312
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Achievements:
    Your first Group5000 Experience Points1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Goofy

No idea...but it's starting to annoy me a little.
    "Are tangerines really just oranges that didn't want it enough?" - Random Greeting Card

Thread Information