Thread: How do you get past emotional abuse?

Freshman Member
    Level completed: 18%,
    Points required for next Level: 41
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points
    Level

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default How do you get past emotional abuse?

Hi. A little backstory... I met my ex because I was dating his best friend (who turned out to be physically and emotionally abusive... Birds of a feather). We had a tumultuous 2 year long on-again-off-again relationship. I would pay for every date so he could spend his money on marijuana. He would constantly go through phases where he would just randomly stop talking to me and I would become frantic, wondering what I did wrong and why I wasn't good enough, etc. I was always worried that he would disappear if I did or said the wrong thing or if I acted the wrong way. For 2 years, he walked all over me and took advantage of me at every opportunity. Most recently, he told me another girl he had been talking to was prettier than me and called me crazy.

Since he already thought I was crazy and I was livid and finally over being treated like I was less than human, I snapped and left a nice letter in his mailbox for his parents detailing that their son is a complete ass and has a drug problem. It was really immature and impulsive, but it felt good at the time. And it effectively destroyed any chance we had at reconciling, which is probably for the best.

I know it may not sound like he deserves to be called emotionally abusive, but there is a lot he's done to me in the last two years that have mentally destroyed me. I've found myself questioning my own sanity recently because of his many comments. I'm already in therapy, but, in your experience, what helps you get over someone doing this to you? I hate what he's done to me and how he has made me feel, but I also miss him. I feel lost without him and like I'm losing my mind. How can I love someone who treats me so terribly and makes me hate myself? Why am I so hung up on this jerk? How do I make it stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Administrator
    Level completed: 0%,
    Points required for next Level: 0
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Your first Group25000 Experience Points10000 Experience Points5000 Experience Points1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hi Allthecats. What I did was finally realize it was not my fault. The blame game solves nothing. If you choose to accept his words as fact , then they will take root. Do what you can to work on you.

-SuperDave71
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle

Thread Information