Thread: The truth about fat loss

thirdeyevest

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Default The truth about fat loss

1. You can not spot reduce- What I mean by this is you can do 1 million crunches to try and remove that flab around the belly but all you will do is have really sore abs. You have to work the larger muscle groups like legs, back, chest etc. Why? Well they will expend the most energy. Your body will burn that energy where it can find it. So remember you can not pick and choose where your body gets that energy from.

2. [B]You Can

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 86%,
    Points required for next Level: 56
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Breezy

Default Rmr

:ohsnap: Josh I hear the same things, I agree with you thanks for the

IRT (in relation to) point two, you definitely can't "turn muscle into fat". However the key thing IIRC (if I recall correctly) that Josh has mentioned in another thread, is that adjusting your diet to a higher protein diet, and decreasing your caloric intake (calories eaten) may just NOT BE ENOUGH to provide weight loss.

IMHO (in my humble opinion) everyone should exercise as well anyway (it's good for more than losing weight!). Exercise increases your usage of calories (and increases your RMR discussed below) therefore you shouldn't end up with an excess of calories that the body then needs to make into fat cells:

Simple maths

1. Exercise (meaning energy expenditure) less than caloric intake = increase in weight
    2. Exercise and caloric intake are the same = weight maintenance
    3. Exercise more than caloric intake = weight loss

I'm sure this is not news to most people, this should be common sense.

However this brings me to point 3 and how Josh has accurately described what happens when people crash diet, trying to use the third sum above and it doesn't add up!

The body goes into starvation mode & desperately holds onto the fat it has stored and even tries to store more. It thinks we are hibernating or in a low nutrition scenario.

The weight people lose in diets is often in this order, firstly water and then the break down of lean tissue and lastly from fat tissue. Diets may also cause a decrease in the RMR (resting metabolic rate), which is the resting rate at which you use energy (calories) i.e. while sitting there reading this!

Now IME (in my experience) the LAST thing you want to do is lose LBM (lean body mass) it is what helps us to utilise fat! In addition to which you want to RAISE your metabolic rate, not lower it!

Many factors determine our metabolic rate, including:

Genetics - Some people have a hereditary (passed down in their genes) faster metabolism

Health & Nutrition - To process food effectively, our body needs a constant supply of nutrients. Without these nutrients (vitamins and minerals) metabolism can be inefficient. To ensure good dietary nutrition I suggest you eat a balanced diet.

Activity Level - Exercise burns calories. When we stop exercising, the effect continues. So we burn calories at a faster rate for several hours afterwards.

However IME if the exercise is multi-jointed/compound (these include squats, dead lifts, lunges, step-ups, swings, snatches, bench presses, incline presses, shoulder presses, seated or bent over rows, lat pulls, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, push-ups, high pulls, clean and presses, etc.), which means it uses lots of muscle groups, the effects last longer (1 or 2 days!). Whereas a steady pace cardio workout only elevates your RMR for 1-2 hours following your workout.

Age - As we get older, our caloric needs decrease. It drops ~2% every 10 years, imagine an average 10 year old and an average 20 year old, which one needs more calories?

Muscle:Fat - Muscle cells are ~8 times more metabolically demanding than fat cells. The greater the proportion of muscle to fat, the faster the metabolic rate.

Frequency of Caloric intake - MR increases during digestion, aka "the thermal effect of food". If you go too long without food (~5 hrs for men; ~3 hrs for women), the body thinks there is a food shortage and the metabolic rate tends to slow down. Hence IMHO the good sense shown by Josh in getting up and having a protein shake in the middle of the night.

For the ladies:
    IME 1 of the top reasons that many females sometimes have a hard time reaching their weight loss goals is that they're afraid to lift weights at all or are afraid to lift heavy weights (back me up here Kelly!;)).

IMHO they're missing one of the most important methods for getting lean and healthy and STAYING lean. The point is to make your muscle work for you (using your RMR) on a 24/7 basis.

I hope this has been helpful, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask....

thirdeyevest

Thank you for the science supporting the points that were brought up

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 86%,
    Points required for next Level: 56
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    7 days registered1000 Experience Points500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Breezy

Wink Oh no....

I thought I neatly avoided the "too much science" information this time, foiled again! ;)

xxSPHYNXxx

Josh! Thanks my friend...Great Post!

thirdeyevest

You are welcome Sphynx

xxSPHYNXxx

Josh,

As I sit here at the desk laughing... I have to say because this is how I joke to my friends, etc on the weekend when they ask me what I think!

I reply, oh I only do that during the week... my brain doesn't think on the weekend! HA

So as I was reading this I laughed to myself and said....Ill ask Josh next some good exercises to keep the brain stimulated as its vacationing on the weekends!

;) Hugs!

xxSPHYNXxx

thirdeyevest

Hey Sphnx I think the best option would be sleep lol I love me some sleep I will at times read the dictionary when I have some down time though...See I am only a nerd on the weekends between the hours of 10am and Noon....

Its funny becasue I say the whole only during the week thing as well

xxSPHYNXxx

lol Josh, you get you some "sleep"!

I can say, I don't read the dictionary during down time, although I do love to read a good book....

I was watching this show the "Doctors" yesterday...one of the guests on the show was speaking about weight loss....basically if you burn 500 calories a day more than you take in you will lose one pound a week!

Getting back to the exercising tho, give me good exercises that work the hips!

xxSPHYNXxx

JTV2008

What do you think of that show? One of the doctors was also "The Bachelor". He is no longer with the girl he chose. Surprise, surprise.

MiraReynaWhite

thanks my friend for sharing valuable post

Thread Information